View Full Version : Strike Deep campaign (6 missions)
I'll be adapting Strike Deep, from White Dwarf 149 next. It's a 6-mission campaign using Deathwing rules and Hybrids again (even if I may re-think the hybrids part).
This is just to avoid two people doing the same work ... I'll post the campaign as it is progressing.
Does this mean we also get Deathwing?
Do you mean Broken Knife's Duty? It's the only campaign in the rulebook, the rest is rules for campaign generation. Great campaign, with some of the best CAT Hunt missions of all time.
That one was released already for TDSH v1.0, and it is fairly compatible with AA v1.0 ... it's just that the airducts are not drawn properly (seems to me) due to a different tileset.
If you really want it, I've posted it for you here:
Broken Knife's Duty (Deathwinig) (http://pcsostres.ac.upc.edu/aramirez/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=files:broken_knifes_duty.zip) (Taken from TDSH V1.0, credit goes to the original authors)
- Dean H Bass and Martin Kay for the original missions
- Bernard Slama for the TDSH V1.0 version
No, what I mean is the chapter.
For that we'll have to rely on the artists out there ... my ability to draw nice soldiers or tilesets is only comparable to my ability to paint miniatures ... both are close to null.
I'll do missions, other can do the painting :tongue:
Regarding Strike Deep, I already have all 6 maps and have play-tested the first 3 ... similar results to Sentinel V, they feel a bit on the easy side. Not quite ready for public release yet.
I'll give up on the hybrids. Since the AI has not been optimized for them, they make missions easier, not harder (increases the rate for blips of 1 alien). I'll also add some extra starting blips, and test again.
And no, I'm not in favor of adding tunnels to increase difficulty. I hate them :rolleyes:
Here is my first attempt at the Strike Deep campaign.
Strike Deep campaign (http://pcsostres.ac.upc.edu/aramirez/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=files:strike_deep.zip)
I have tried to tune difficulty a bit, but even after increasing enemy reinforcements and removing flamer reloads, I could still finish all missions without too much trouble.
Feedback is welcome. Enjoy,
i played the first few missions on my spare time! thanks, here is a mini review:
mission 1- entry point:
- on adaptation : original mission objective would have been two-fold, secure entry points, then find the lift area. since two part objectives cant be done in the current version the change to seal bulkheads is a great idea.
- on fluff/story (minor) : it is my opinion though that if the objective changed slightly, the story should mention the change (original mission doesnt mention any bulkheads)
- on gameplay : i didnt win on the first attempt. i was down to one marine, i would have finished it if not for a bad dice roll on overwatch. ;) tension was there. close game, and is a good intro mission to the rest of the campaign. i enjoyed this one!
mission 2- a need for power:
-on adaptation : original mission just use 3 artifacts in one room, adding 2 more didnt change anything on my playthrough
- on fluff/story (minor) : i knew right away you were using the space hulk collection too since you even have the same typo on "eraly stage". dont mind it though :)
- on gameplay : despite the story promising a desperate fight, i finished the mission using only the assault cannon marine. i just went straight for the middle room and i didnt even move the others. i was dissapointed it was that easy. maybe a direct adaptation of the mission setup made the map easy for alien assault. i havent tried it but i imagine just using a three man team instead of the full squad would make it more challenging.
mission 3 - deep down:
-on adaptation and gameplay: the mission started with the full squad, i believe here is where the balance lies. after another easy time at this mission i checked the campaign rules. it said :
"At the end of each mission it will be noted whether the mission was a success, a failure or whether extra casualties will be incurred. In the case of there being extra casualties, two Space Marines must be removed from the remaining roster."
now, it could be that the missions would call for fewer and fewer marines as the campaign progressed. that may be the balance youre looking for
the campaign might need a little tweaking, but i liked what ive seen so far
vBulletin® v3.8.0, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.